Friday, August 17, 2007

Apocalypse and a Paralyzed Dog which is My Fault

Dream from Saturday night (8/11)
It is the end of the world, the apocalypse is starting. One of the effects of this is the internet going down. There is a group of 100 or so people who are planning how they will survive it, a handpicked team. They have a way to keep a small network with their blogs and stuff going through the apocalypse. I am part of this team, but not by choice. It seems to have to do with my work affiliation. I am outspoken at the meeting expressing my contempt of their idea and asking why they get to single themselves out as being special enough to survive, what about the rest of the world? If just going off individual merit, my parents and family members are far more qualified, and not because they are related to me. I think the elite group should not exclude the rest of the world.

In between, I am on a trip somewhere with my family and husband. We are in a deserty region near the coast. I see the family dog, C-, being bitten on the face by a gila monster. Except, it doesn't really look like a gila monster, it is all green and swims in the water. But it is quite large, and it's bite is deadly poisonous. I feel guilty because I don't say anything immediately when I notice it, and then it finally lets go of his face and swims away (his whole head was pretty much in it's mouth) and I know that it's going to be fatal. Nobody else seems terribly concerned, until it becomes evident that his body is paralyzed (from the neck down, for some reason). We head back home. We end up in the city of P-, buildings are collapsing, or blown out and empty. We are searching for a veterinarian, but everybody is closed due to the apocalypse. We finally end up going back to the town where my parents live, where we locate a vet and leave C- there to be cared for, going back to my parent's house.

At my parents house, my father discusses with my husband how we should head back to our home. One proposal is for my husband to take the truck, and my father to take the tractor, with me riding on the back, and go into town. At the time I don't realize it, but later I think my father knew that the dog was going to die at the Vet's and would need to be retrieved. Later, I am standing on the covered porch at my parents house as darkness falls. I can actually feel the darkness closing in around me, it is velvety soft and warm. I go inside to the living room, my parents are sitting on the couch and chair. I ask them if they have heard anything about C-, or something like that. They do not say anything at all. We stand there looking at each other, me with the growing realization that this must mean he has died, but nobody says anything.

We are still standing there when my husband comes in the door and I wake up, without the question being answered.

No comments: