Monday, May 5, 2008

A Lesson About Carelessness With Personal Info

5/5/2008
I go to some kind of bar or nightclub. At the beginning of the dream I am some kind of drug lord or gang leader or something (not myself, a big tough guy who is quite a bit older) and everyone pretty much gets out of my way. There's a rack where you put personal items where you are there and I know nobody will bother mine becuase of my reputation.

I hang around for a while and later I turn into my actual self. A guy meets up with me and introduces himself as Arthur Moresy or Morsly (something beginning with Mor and ending with Y), he seems interested in me and nice enough, but I'm somewhat evasive. I am not sure what he wants but I'm pretty sure it's not what I want (I don't know why I'm even in this club in the first place now, and am feeling uncomfortable. I certainly don't want to hook up with anybody).

He is probably a little older than me, sort of non-descript with very light, short, blond hair. I tell him my name and such but say that I can't hang out right now because I have to go make a call in my vehicle. He offers to give me a ride out, so I accept. I retrieve two forms with my info, a small one and a larger one (maybe vehicle registration?) from the rack that holds personal items and go with him. After a short ride I thank him and hop out.

As I walk across the parking lot I realize that I don't have my car key (I have my other keys but the chains were separated). I go back to him in his vehicle (he is still there and he gives me my key. He says oh, you also forgot this, and hands me the forms, which I was sure I had with me but must have left in his vehicle. Then I see that there are a whole stack of copies of the larger form. He asks me (somewhat mockingly) how many I want? I blush and am very irritated. He explains that he had a copier handy and made copies, (he gives them all to me). Then he jokes that he's going to apply for a bunch of credit cards in my name as my SSN was on the form. He is trying to point out that I shouldn't be so careless with my personal info because anybody could pick it up and and steal my identity, but I do not think it's funny, and stalk across the parking lot in a huff. I am now calling him Ian, he has told me that the first name he gave me is his middle name or something, he never gives out his real first name at clubs (and neither should I, he implies). I search the lot somewhat huffily, but can't find my vehicle. He helpfully (unhelpfully) points it out in the next lot over becuase he knows the license number from my info.

He's actually trying to jolt me into realizing I should be more careful but I'm just irritated about him mocking me, even though I know he is not actually going to do anything with the info (except maybe call me, he still wants to get together). Also I'm irritated becuase I feel stupid for leaving the stuff in his car in the first place and making it easy for him to trick me and point out the obvious carelessness.

No comments: