Monday, February 4, 2008

Desert Stew

2/2/2008 - Saturday Morning's Dream

I had a series of three or four dreams this night, but I only remember this part of one of the early ones.

I was driving in a desert, possibly with my husband and/or others, but I felt alone. We were in an open jeep-like car, somewhat reminiscent of what Thompson and Thompson drive through the desert in Tintin. We drove and drove, we were somewhat lost I think. It was bare and flat, and somewhat gravelly. We could see the track of another vehicle, or maybe it was our own. Night fell and it started to get cold. We camped in a small shelter, which I think was already set up there. We had no supplies, but I found an onion on the ground and told the others that I was going to make stew. We did not have any meat, but I crawled around in the dusk, in the edges of where the tent was pitched. There were some other dusty vegetables discarded on the ground. I picked up a large thing which I thought was a large potato, but when I looked at it closely I could see that it was the head of an octopus. The legs were gone, there were 8 slightly wet looking pencil-sized holes in a straight line in the bottom of it, where they had been cut off. This is what tipped me off to its true nature. I discarded it with some disgust. I found some other onions, potatoes, and carrots. They were dirty but in good shape, and I went on to make a stew. I was pleased with myself managing to find food for us to make the best of our stranded situation and was looking forward to the hot dinner, although I don't think the others were as keen on my resourcefulness. I don't remember the rest of the dream or the ones that came after, although one of those took place on the bank of a river in a sunny park.

No comments: