Monday, July 9, 2007

Easter in July and growing inadequacy

These dreams are from two nights ago; they happened in this order. There have been others, but they've been so wispy lately...

In the first dream, I am in the woods behind my parents' house, looking for Easter Eggs with person who is younger than me (maybe my brother?). I think we are both much younger, children. The eggs are the plastic kind with candy inside. There is another plot overlaid which we are talking about, but I cannot remember it. There's an unsettled and urgent feeling. (Of note, I don't really celebrate Easter in the waking world, although I did hunt for eggs when I was a kid. But we didn't have the plastic kind, although I knew people who did.)

In the next dream, I am back on the farm of my childhood riding instructor, but as an adult. A young teenager is also there who is now doing what my tasks used to be. In the real world now I look back on my instructor with some fondness and wish we had stayed in touch, but in the dream, I am filled with feelings of confusion, not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing, and inadequacy in performing tasks. I am gathering some horses out of the field, and filling a water bucket, but nothing seems to be going right and she yells and snaps at me, and doesn't give me enough instruction on what is supposed to be happening. The kid who is there appears to have figured out a pattern of how to work here, and works quietly in the background, but my adult self doesn't remember how to do anything and is freshly confused. The overall feeling is frantic, inadequate, and as though I had romanticized the past and when it was really like this dream: me confused and responding inappropriately to situations.

The last dream is the worst, I am with my husband and attempting to be somewhat intimate, but with each advance he responds with annoyance, and is plainly growing more and more irritated. He says I have to ask before each thing I do (for example touching him somewhere) and receive an answer that it is okay from him before I proceed. As he gets more annoyed at my attempts I become more upset, and eventually wake up.

In the real world he was not there that night and waking out of the dream basically put a bad start on the whole day.

No comments: