Saturday, June 2, 2007

Rhododendron Forests - Epistle to Dippy?

Last night, I went to bed with an excruciating headache, almost as bad as a migraine. Somehow I got to sleep, but it stayed even in my dream, and was still there when I woke up.
---------------------------------------------
It was the Fourth of July weekend (I'm aware that it doesn't fall on the weekend this year, but in the dream it purported to be this year). My husband and I were on a vacation of some sort. We were walking along a sandy road near a coast. The area was very beautiful, with pale golden sand, brilliant blue water, and a low forest of rhododendrons in many, many colors: blue and unrealistic multicolors among the more normal pinks and purples. I realize now that in words, it sounds much like the southern Oregon coast dune area we visited recently, with mountains of sand and rhododendrons growing wild in the woods by the hundreds (pink ones), but it actually didn't look at all the same. For one thing, there was nothing growing in this deserty forest except the rhododendrons, and they were growing in the sand right beside the water.

We walked back up to some kind of guest house where my family was staying. It was white and airy inside. My mother showed us (my husband mainly, because in the dream I had already seen them) a collection of taekwon-do trophy's that my brother had won over the years. In addition to traditional trophies, there was a collection of larger statues that looked like they were made of painted wood or paper mache, sort of like saints. My brother acted typically bored and dismissive about them.

Then, my husband and I were driving through Lincoln Creek Valley, trying to decide where to go to see the fireworks display. We were discussing if we would go all the way to the reservation (where I used to go to see them in real life, near my parent's house), although this would be a pretty long drive for us from where we live now, so I don't know why we didn't find anything closer. On the way, we saw a group of taekwon-doists performing outside of a church or barn. We almost stopped, but when we slowed down I saw that it wasn't a group that I knew, so we kept driving.

Throughout the dream, I had a very large bruise on my forehead, above my left eye, which was extremely painful. I couldn't remember how I had gotten it (not too unusual in real life, I end up with bruises quite often whose origin I can't remember), although in the dream several people expressed concern about it. It was exactly where my real-life headache was centered. When I woke up the headache was still killing me and I couldn't imagine how I'd actually managed to sleep with it.

No comments: