Thursday, May 31, 2007

Boys and Kittens

I haven't been remembering dreams very well lately, but here goes.
A few days ago, I had a dream which I could barely remember when I woke up, except for this one scene. And it keeps coming back to me:

I was backstage at the playhouse where I used to act in children's plays as a child. My Aunt was putting on a play, and I was just hanging out there, I think. I was talking to a little boy, about 8 years old. I found him well-spoken and serious (and cute for it, of course, as a kid), and was looking after his little sister who was also there, who looked to be about 5. As he got ready to leave, after we had talked for some time, he mentioned to me that he had converted to Islam (on his own). I was so surprised, and couldn't stop thinking about it, even after I woke up. If I had found out about Islam when I was a little girl, and believed in it then, would I have had the strength to convert to it at that age? It was tough at times even as an adult, although I've never regretted it. Anyway, I was and still am filled with pride and amazement at the thought that little boy. I don't know who he was.

Then last night I had a long and involved dream. I don't remember much of it, but it involved finding and rescuing a tiny, tiny, scrawny kitten who was stuck under an abandoned house in the woods, in a setting similar to the blockhouse. The kitten may have talked in the dream too, but I lost it all very suddenly after waking up, as I have been doing recently. There were a couple other intense dreams like these that I lost all the details of shortly after waking, before my awake mind even got fully put together enough to think about what had happened.

No comments: